Transits – Saturn Square the Moon

There seems to be an involuntary shudder when we see Saturn approaching the Moon with a tough aspect. With a square there is normally a sense of being forced into change. Things aren’t working the way they are so something has to give. But with the square, both planets need to be recognised and incorporated. The square causes tension that must be released as action and can quite often feel like being backed into a corner where you have no choice but to do something different.

Saturn is about responsibility and structure. He is also your burdens, fears and weaknesses as well as your mastery and the ability to succeed despite all obstacles. When Saturn connects to the Moon by transit, he makes you feel uncomfortable because he’s testing how things are working for you on an emotional level.

Often the beginning of this transit can be marked by a feeling of isolation. This may be due to an actual separation from a relationship or family or a general feeling that you aren’t as well connected as you used to be. It may be that you have cut yourself off emotionally or simply got into the habit of not bothering so much with friends or family. Maybe your work load has been heavy so you haven’t had the time to spend with loved ones.

Saturn symbolises the ‘mature’ or ‘adult’ self. The Moon symbolises the ‘child’ self. You can perhaps already see where this is going! When Saturn moves in by transit, he brings with him a sobering energy that compels you to look at the reality of your situation. Fairy stories aren’t going to get you anywhere and metaphorical Mum or Dad can’t be at your beck and call all the time. Consequently, chided by Saturn, the Moon may feel cut-off, unloved and painfully lonely. Emotional insecurity can be a manifestation of this transit along with heavier emotions such as depression or emotional numbness.

Whether it is your love relationship, friends or family, you may feel like you have no one to rely on for support. This may not be the truth but the experience is likely to push you to look within and teach you to learn to stand on your own two feet. Saturn often forces you to confront your fears so that they can no longer bind and restrict you – freeing you to pursue the life you want to live without inhibition. Don’t forget that Saturn is the old ruler of Aquarius!

Some manifestations of this transit may include: -

Having to take on extra responsibilities at home.
Dealing with aging parents.
Feeling like you are carrying the emotional burdens of others as well as your own.
Feeling that your home is cramped in some way.
Not feeling at home whilst you are at home.
Feeling that you don’t spend enough time at home.
Finding it hard to meet both work and home demands.
Difficulties with women.
Problems with fertility or menstrual cycle.
Childhood fears rearing their heads.
Weakening emotional ties which leave you feeling lonely.
Not knowing where you belong.
Feeling uninvited.
Problems with food or digestion.

Essentially, Saturn square the Moon can teach you a great deal about how to look after yourself. By the end of this transit you will find that you can be your own loving parent, you can organise your life so that you can enjoy emotional relationships as well as work hard, you can prioritise. There can be a tendency to fall into self-pity, defeatism and feelings of failure but the problem is that Saturn will just keep pushing you until you learn to pick yourself up off the floor! It’s not easy by any means but by learning some emotional self-discipline you’ll find your life runs more smoothly thereby giving you the chance to achieve more as well as feel better supported from within.

If you are feeling the negative side of this transit, you need to make a concerted effort to take care of yourself starting at the basics. Organise your home and work, eat well and go to bed early. Tiredness and susceptibility to colds/flu are common. Learn to meditate or start a constructive new daily habit. Learn to differentiate between feeling isolated and refusing the love others do have to offer because it’s too hard to let your guard down. Accept what people can give rather than resenting what they can’t. Be kind to yourself but don’t let yourself off the hook. Reflect upon your life with honesty and take positive action if you really feel you let yourself down somehow. Make time to be kind to others. Above all, learn to take comfort in the little things.

Look to the house in which Saturn is transiting and the natal house of the Moon to give you an indication of where in your life this transit may manifest. To get an idea of how things may conclude – check the houses which the Moon and Saturn rule in your chart.

27 comments for “Transits – Saturn Square the Moon

1. Kathleen Stansfield
    October 23, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Uncannily astute as usual

2. October 23, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Thanks Kathleen. I have this one up and coming myself so thought it was time to have a really good think about it :-)

3. amelia
    January 16, 2013 at 8:00 pm

let us know how it goes, I too have it come up in about a year and a half…
    in the 3rd now solidly have had contacts with sibs that havn’t had in yrs. good too….Also have a sis diagnosed with cancer…..thought I might begin writing again but havn’t so far…how was this for you

4. January 16, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Hi Amelia
    I’m at the very beginning of the journey with this one. So far I am trying to stay one step ahead of Saturn by starting to get the house fixed up but it’s s-l-o-w going! I’m also feeling very much like hiding away and getting on with my work. Some dark thought about old stuff rising up as Saturn is currently squaring my Moon too! I will be able to reflect better on it when the transit has finished but I will keep you posted.
    I’m sorry to hear about your sister’s diagnosis. Saturn brings a tough journey sometimes. Healing thoughts to both you sister and you.
    Saturn in the third for me was very much about changing my ways of thinking. I don’t have family/siblings etc. so it was a very internal journey for me. Mentally I felt very pre-occupied much of the time but it was very good for me to have my thinking patterns challenged, especially negative patterns! I also wrote – a lot!
    I’m sure your words will flow when the time is right :-)

5. Laura
    August 17, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Saturn will square my moon starting this November. The descriptions of this transit seem to be what my life has been like over the past 6 or 7 years since I got married and started a business with my husband. Saturn is transiting my Scorpio 3rd house and will square my 12th house Leo moon, which is not well situated with oppositions and a square to Neptune. It seems like dark days are ahead. Can you shed a positive light on this?

6. August 19, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Hi Laura – Saturn has a 7 year cycle so it could be useful to look back to when Saturn was transiting conjunct your Moon. What I have personally found is that things are almost repeating exactly like they did when Saturn last opposed my Moon. It feels as though the things I didn’t do then, I have to do now – in more difficult circumstances but at the same time, I’m being given a second chance at it!

So if there have been things that have lain unresolved during these last seven years, Saturn will push for a resolution. The bright side of Saturn transits is that once we do what Saturn asks, then we see the light at the end of the tunnel (and feel a lot stronger for it too!).

7. Erin
    September 7, 2013 at 3:24 am

This is a very insightful. I’m experiencing transit Saturn square my Aquarius Moon, from my natal 10th Scorpio Uranus…AND Uranus is soon to square Pluto transiting my Capricorn Asc square Libra Pluto. Stressful is an understatement. I keep thinking this can’t be life, but it is…all I can do is suck it up and just do what I need to do.

8. September 7, 2013 at 10:09 am

Hi Erin, thanks for your comment. I’m just about to experience the last hit of Saturn square Moon in a few days. Boy, it’s been a journey! Wow yes, with Pluto transiting your Asc as well, there’s some deep and profound shifts happening. It sounds like you have the best approach just to go with the flow. Sometimes it’s all you can do.

9. Jenn
    October 8, 2013 at 1:47 am

Omygoodness what a crazy transit this has been – it is coming exact over the next week and then finally coming to an end in 2 weeks. Maybe I will let some people back into my world again. It has indeed been a sobering time.

10. October 8, 2013 at 8:36 am

Hi Jenn – Yes Saturn does have that ‘sobering’ effect! I hope things improve for you soon x

11. Jan
    January 13, 2014 at 7:03 am

Hi Leah, just thinking about this impending transit is making me shudder a bit. I greatly fear losing control but I suspect I might just have another storm to face with my mum. I have this transit approaching soon and as it is, I just had a very tensed episode with her on the phone. I shall be seeing her again end of this month and I really don’t know how much I can continue to withhold my animosity towards her anymore. My self esteem has been pretty much non-existent, thanks to her insensitive and critical ways throughout my life. At the same time, I dread thinking about how my nine year old son will interpret this if he witnesses his grandma and mum’s explosive moment. I have this irrational fear that my son will treat me the same way as how I treat my mum. I can only hope I won’t sink into depression.

12. January 13, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Hi Jan – I’m sorry to hear you have such a difficult relationship with your Mum. Sadly low self-esteem can certainly be the result of difficult relationships with our parents. The good thing is that now you recognise the roots of the problem. It can help to have some support (for example counselling) whilst you work through those feelings. I would also recommend a book called ‘Toxic Parents’ by Susan Forward. It’s a powerful book and offers incredible insight into these kinds of problems as well as offering ways of dealing with them. I found it enormously helpful.

13. Deb
    January 24, 2014 at 12:38 am

I now have saturn approaching 4 degrees of natal moon and it’s uncanny how this rings so true. I feel more isolated at work and sensitive to rejection from friends. I feel like my emotional network is lacking. It’s been quite painful. How long will this transit last? Awful so far

14. January 24, 2014 at 10:44 am

Hi Deb – Thanks for your comment. I’m sorry to hear that. What you are experiencing seems quite classic of this transit. Most Saturn transits last about a year but depending on where your Moon is the transit can hit one, two or three times. Mostly it is the peak of the transits which feel most acute and then they tail off as the influence moves away. If you would like to know more about how and when this transit is active in your chart, I do offer 6 or 12 month forecasts http://www.leahwhitehorse.com/readings/audio-readings/

15. Kathleen McGarry
    March 5, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Hi Leah,

I’m not sure but I have a Leo Moon and Saturn squares it in my natal chart. I relate to having a kinda cold mother who “got the job done” but wasn’t very warm or affectionate. I continue to pick partners who flip flop from being loving to distant and cold, which just makes me want to run and be totally independent.

If it is in my natal chart, does this aspect ever “let up”? Or am I working with it for this lifetime?

Thanks!!

K

16. March 6, 2014 at 10:59 am

Hi Kathleen, technically it’s a lifetime’s work BUT over time, your chart changes (the progressed chart) so what happens is that although you continue to work with the same issues, you begin to have a better understanding of them. It may be useful to see whether there is any correlation between the times when relationships started and/or ended to see if your Moon/Saturn was being triggered in the chart at the time.

17. Alisa
    April 7, 2014 at 12:21 am

You All Are Blessed, Why Do I Say Such, Because I Have To Live With It For Life.
    I Was Born With The Moon Opposing My Saturn. Very Much A Curse, My Mother Was Always Not Warm And Encouraging, Betrayed Me Twice, Once At 15 and Again Around 43. My Father Was A Pimp and Was Not Really In My Life as A Child and Worked For The City At Age 50, But Was Never A Father To Me, My Cousins I Grew Up Rejecting Me For The Most Part and With the Sun Conjuct Neptune I Never Attracted Any Good Men Just Liars Losers and Promiscous Types. No Matter How Competent I Was I Always Attracted Dysfunctional People. At Age 52 I Have Severed Ties With My Family, Because I Was So Tired Of The Dysfunctional Merry Go Round or Emotional Rejection. The One Blessing I Got Is A Beautiful Daughter Who Loves Me So Much, and Good Business Sense as Well as Creativity. Good Luck With Your Transits as It Will Only Be Temporary and Not For A Lifetime.

18. April 7, 2014 at 9:17 am

Hi Alisa
    Thanks for sharing your experience of this as a natal aspect. I’m sorry it’s been so tough on you but glad to hear you have a wonderful relationship with your daughter :-)

19. cmc
    April 29, 2014 at 7:30 am

people with saturn moon aspect may have problem standing up for their emotions
    tihs may create supressed anger as anger is common due to their insecurity
    psychopats are said to have and deep inferior complex and in moon saturn is conjuct onj a lot of serial killer chart
    these things tend to improve with hard work and age maybe?
    supressed anger makes one hostile resentful and unable to have compassion
    i am having this transit and insecure

20. April 29, 2014 at 9:11 am

Hi CMC – Yes I agree that those who have Saturn-Moon challenging aspects in a natal chart can improve with age. Also, even without the natal aspect, in transit, we get a chance to mature with each movement of Saturn to the natal Moon.

21. Trista
    May 23, 2014 at 4:18 am

Thank you Leah, I’m about to get hit by this but think I’m already feeling it because I’ve been absolutely exhausted and feeling like I need to break things off with my partner. Can you tell me how long the tranist lasts? For how many degrees is it considered square?

TKT

22. May 23, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Hi Trista
    Thanks for your comment. I’m sorry to hear things are difficult for you. On average Saturn transits last around a year – they rise and fall in intensity as the aspect becomes exact. Saturn may hit the exact square three times depending on your chart in the course of the year. The square is active around 8 degrees before being exact but I don’t tend to find it really starts hitting home until about 2 degrees before or after. If you would like to know more about how this effecting your chart and when the peak dates are, I offer readings on this page http://www.leahwhitehorse.com/readings/
    I hope things improve for you soon.
    Blessing

23. flo
    May 25, 2014 at 12:01 am

Hi Leah. I have this now along with other transits of course, some more peaceful though :). According to astrodienst this transit started at the beginning of december last year and going to finish october 2014. It looks like 5th house saturn is transitting my 4th house and square natal moon in 1st house. Does this make sense? Hope it does am still gaining ground on astrology =P. I relate to the loneliness and everything which is something am not unfamiliar with but with the short report on astrodienst it said something about greater self sufficiency and emotional maturity. I do feel the restless “nowhere-to-hide” feeling you’re talking about but also the sense that I’m doing things all on my own and wish I could have one person to fall back on who would help me through, even family members or something. Not going to go into too too personal details about my life atm but your article makes sense and I sincerely hope things change for the better because I have too many restrictions. Even the way my natal chart is with the lines is very exact and straight. This transit sucks but if it’s going to make changes then not going to complain! :) Although am crying on inside..

24. May 25, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Hi Flo – I’m sorry you have having a tough time of it. It can certainly be a harsh transit but having been through it and found myself on the other side, I do believe that Saturn really does help in the end (even if it doesn’t feel like it at the time!). Stay strong x

25. Simona
    July 8, 2014 at 1:53 am

Dear Leah,

From April I’m feeling that Saturn effect (which is in saggitarius and 11th house) squaring my Moon in aquarius – 2nd house. it is rollercoaster up&down, it depends how I percieve and feel its energy regarding my emotions…yes i feel exausted, but actually, i’m finding it easier to motivate and get on with my self, only it is dual, sometimes it is so good even when it is tough, but when its bad it is really bad. I can work phsically a lot, but at some point I need to let my emotions out by just calming down. It is quite hard too relate to others, but I’m putting an effort to make and do things for general good. Yes, there is family issues, and friends issues, and so much past experiences that are becoming clear now, I can see how everything is kind of starting to be clear now, i dont want to forget it I want to use it.
    I have to give credit for jupiter interventions also, he made it quite stronger for me to handle it. Because there has been and still is so many selfworth questions inside me, doubts, programming, planning. I’m feeling that decision making process so much, and the most exciting thing of it all is that since the begining of this transit I’m having that intuitive optimistic sense that this is a good thing that I’m undergoing. I have that sense of purpose.
    So here is something that I want to ask you, how is that character strong saturn so destructive to my emotions, it makes me wanna explode sometimes, give up etc, I feel so pushed by it…

26. July 8, 2014 at 9:26 am

Hi Simona – It can be a challenging transit, that’s for sure. It probably feels destructive as Saturn is breaking down your habitual emotional patterns and these can make us feel exposed and vulnerable at times and very emotional. It’s a process of clearing the way so you have firmer emotional foundations in the future. It may also depend on the rest of your natal chart – how the Moon interrelates with other planets. If you would like to explore this further, I offer readings here http://www.leahwhitehorse.com/readings/

27. Mimi
    September 16, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Dear Leah, i’ve only just discovered your website during last 4 months. Feel as if many times its my one piece of sanity. I have had Saturn square my natal Pluto and then move on to my Moon twice already this year, just left my Pluto and on its way to my Moon for final pass. Yee Gods! My closest friend was diagnosed with cancer, and several women who i had thought were friends, have just faded away. Saturn is transiting my third house Scorpio and both my Pluto and Moon ( MOMMY) are in Leo only 5 degrees apart. My sense of feeling betrayed, isolated, abandoned..its all up and depression, and very little sleep. Wow.. I really never have experienced such consistent pressure , in my life. I have done alot of personal work through the years..but this is an ” inner intensive” almost like no other. My relationship with my Mom was all encompassing , and the depth of that is mind boggling still. I am just beginning to trust the process of it, but cannot wait till it is finished, so exhausted. I wonder who will be left standing? I thank-you deeply for providing such wisdom and compassion. And Hang In There Everyone..