Saturn transiting the 4th House

Transits - Saturn transiting 4th HouseSaturn’s transit of the 4th house of the natal chart may be seem less dynamic that some of the other Saturn transits but often, in retrospect, it is seen that it marks an important turning point.

Things may feel cramped at home. Perhaps there are improvements that need to be made, broken things that need fixing or worn out items that need replacing. Your home may not feel big enough which necessitates clearing clutter. It’s possible that you may ‘down-size’ at this time to save on resources. Maybe you feel your home isn’t working for you and you want it to be more ‘functional’.

Sometimes this transit may indicate that your home feels like a burden; perhaps you are waiting to move but the market is slow. It may indicate having to take on more responsibility than usual, for example caring for an elderly parent or dealing with a sick relative. Domestic duties may increase.

Your home is your private retreat; the place where you should feel safe, secure and comfortable. Saturn passing through this area of your chart is rather like a feng shui expert exploring your home with an objective eye. Your home is a symbol of yourself and things that aren’t working there may represent aspects of yourself that have been neglected. Saturn will point out what needs to be fixed to help energy flow again.

On a deeper emotional level, the 4th house represents your private self. It is the house of belonging and where you feel rooted. It is your past history and shows what you need in order to function well in the outside world.

When Saturn passes through this house, you are entering a period of deep emotional re-structuring. Old issues may resurface if they haven’t already been dealt with. Past attachments that have outworn their welcome may resurface. Saturn helps to break down any conditioning that restricts you from being the person you want to be – and the person you would like others to see.

This period may feel like it passes slowly. Life may be quiet with less accent on career and socialising. Some people experience a sense of despondency or loneliness. Learning to like your own company can be a feature of this transit. In a way, Saturn could be said to be removing the distractions of the outer world in order to give you time to focus on the inner world and the work that needs to be done. Your inner sense of security and the ability to support yourself grows during this transit. Being responsible to yourself and for yourself is a key theme.

Saturn is encouraging you to do the ground-work. You are building a foundation for the future. If you want to change your career or start your own business, Saturn’s transit of the 4th offers you the perfect time to put your foot on the first rung of the ladder. By the end of this transit you should see that you have become stronger, wiser and that you are in a better place to achieve your goals than you were before.

27 comments for “Saturn transiting the 4th House

1. January 16, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Thank you for writing this article!

I became a legal secretary the last time Saturn transited my 4th house, 28 years ago.

Well, Saturn recently left my 4th house in October 2012, and I have been thinking about changing careers, but it definitely entails returning to school, or seeking a retraining program. I also daydreamed about moving into a bigger place, but the economy has left me jobless.

NAMASTE’

2. Kathleen Stansfield
    January 16, 2013 at 9:39 pm

So perceptive and so very,very,true. Brilliant

3. January 16, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Thanks Kathleen :-)

4. January 16, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Hi Vjai
    I’m sorry to hear you are without a job. Such a difficult time for many people. With Saturn still travelling through the lower part of your chart, traning and retraining could be a good way of using that energy. Blessings on your journey.

5. Nancee
    January 19, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I moved into an older home when Saturn conjuncted my IC (in Cancer, too). House needed more work than we thought. Hmmmm, Saturn. Both my MIL and FIL passed away, too. After those things, it was a very quiet, inward time.

6. January 19, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience Nancy.

7. Maverick61
    June 27, 2013 at 10:06 pm

this is reaffirming – the part about this being the time of restructuring and creating a more authentic self.

BUT IT SUCKS RIGHT NOW!!!!

not only has the old devil crossed over IC in past 1/2 year, but doing it’s station/retro thing at 5′ -ish of Scorp – which is squaring my natal Sun/Asc/Desc. axii at 4-6′ of Aquarius. Tough times and no seeming friends or family members to count on –

Very sad and scary time.

8. June 28, 2013 at 6:40 am

Hi Maverick – I absolutely 100% hear you! I have exactly this going on in my chart too right now. Saturn conjunct 4th cusp squaring Asc/Desc and natal Moon and opposing natal Sun. Your words could be my own. Some transits are seriously tough. I guess one of the best things best about understanding the astrology behind these times is knowing when it’ll be over – sheesh!
    Blessings to you.

9. Craig
    October 3, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Agreed guys…Saturn in my 4th house has made me a complete hermit…I can’t believe this sh%t….lol I hardly go out. My wife just got her driver’s license a little while go and I lost mine for speeding. Will get it back nov 2014…until then I’m stuck….fvk Saturn in the 4th ! lol sorry for swearing. Very fragile emotionally

10. October 3, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Hi Craig – No apologies needed, Saturn can certainly evoke some swear words sometimes, lol! Sorry to hear you are feeling stuck and fragile. Saturn in the 4th can be tough going. You’ll be stronger in the end but sometimes it’s darn hard work to get to the finish line. Hope things improve for you soon.

11. DRE
    October 30, 2013 at 3:32 am

Wow thanks for this!! I have been feeling like a hermit as well. Moved to a new city last year and none of my friends or family keep in touch! Now I know why! Trying to make friends hasn’t worked so just at home-me and my boyfriend. Luckily I can use this time to learn to be with myself and overcome the loneliness of no contact. I even own my own business as a graphic designer and everything is done online lol! This is definitely a tough time but much needed as I had always been a social butterfly. Luckily Saturn helped me secure my living situation for 5 years at cheap rent! So, Saturn is definitely in the works in my life and I am so grateful that I know why things are the way they are:)

12. October 30, 2013 at 10:01 am

Hi Dre – You’re welcome :-) It’s really great to hear that you are working with the Saturn vibe. I know it’s difficult sometimes but really worth it in the end. And good for Saturn finding you cheap rent, lol!

13. Ninz
    November 12, 2013 at 4:47 am

Thank you for this article. I forgot about my Saturn in 4th, until recently. Life seems to be flat for me during this transition. I tried to push in the beginning to make things happen for me, only to be pushed back. I’ve certainly gone inwards to heal, discard patterns, habits etc that no longer serve me. The external world has been shut out as I’ve become indifferent to it. I’ve been despondent, unemployed and living a life of a hermit for the past year. It’s been difficult since I’m a person that’s likes to be running on my feet. No celebrations for my 30th this year, but will definitely celebrate when this transit is over :)

14. Ninz
    November 12, 2013 at 4:49 am

OMG and soo much sleeping this year. hehe

15. November 12, 2013 at 10:05 am

Hi Ninz – Thanks for your comment. I’m sorry to hear this has been a tough transit for you. I guess at least the best is knowing that this too shall pass! Saturn will get you there in the end – and then yes, a big celebration is in order :-)

16. walter
    November 15, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I enjoyed reading your article…saturn in my 4th has made me more of a hermit, every thing seems to say no at this time wow 2 and half years of this, I needed to hear another astrologer point of view, thank you… this aspect also give depression more easily if you allow it. the one bright spot is a return to school seems to be the only bright spot,as i was just notified about financial aid. so true about past issues I’m just meeting a daughter for the first time in 17 years(soon as saturn entered the fourth) i’ve been an astrologer for 24 years and looking at my own chart sometimes I don’t want to accept certain things so it’s good to hear the opinion of others with like minds, i hope that when it reaches later degrees when it will be sextile my second house stellium that I will get a little reprieve.. thanks again.

17. November 15, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Hi Walter – thanks for your comment. Wow, how lovely to be meeting your daughter, a wonderful gift from Saturn! I understand what you mean when looking at your own chart. Sometimes it is good to get an objective opinion. I hope you enjoy the course you are taking. Saturn is a wise teacher :-)

18. Amiri
    December 5, 2013 at 7:10 pm

How can I find out where the planets sit in my chart right now? Please help me!!!

19. December 6, 2013 at 9:09 am

Hi Amiri
    Go to http://www.astro.com/ – it’s free!
    Create an account, enter your birth details. Once you have done that, click the link at the top of the page on the right ‘Free Horoscopes’. Scroll down and choose ‘extended chart selection’. Once there, look to where it says ‘please select the type of chart you want’. In that drop-down list choose ‘natal chart and transits’.

Next in the OPTIONS list below, make sure it says the current date and then in the ‘house system’ select ‘equal’. (You can use a different one if you prefer but if you don’t know about the houses, equal is easiest to use’)

Once you’ve got those details in, scroll down to the bottom of the page and add in Chiron if you like under ‘Additional objects’ and check the box ‘Always use the true node’ so that you North Node shows on the chart.

Then hit ‘click here to show the chart’ at the bottom of the page.
    You’ll see your chart in the centre with the transiting planets around it. At the bottom of the page there will be a list of where the planets currently are (degree and sign).

Hope that helps :-)

20. Ellie
    July 31, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Brilliant article. Thank you.

I’ve always been a social butterfly with 300 contacts in my phone and couldn’t live a day without seeing friends. I always thought being introspective was selfish. But since January I’ve become a hermit and a happy, spiritual one. I’ve dug out the repressed parts of myself -childhood unhappiness, being more self-assured (I was such a pushover!) etc- resolved them in the sense that when I go out in the world I am more discriminating of others and believe in my values and judgement. I’ve also learnt to live with less, be less of a spendthrift, save money.

I also saw my own flaws and am making myself learn to be responsible person. I finally believe in true love and spirituality and no longer think of joining the 27 club, which was my major thought when I was 14. Strange kid. Also I saw how some of my friends were sexually loose and cut out bad influence, keeping only true friends.

I want to marry for love, I’ve decided to keep my virginity for him (previously I was fine if I married for money) and I want to be a great mother. (My natal Saturn (and Sun) is in 7th house of partnership! My lifetime challenge, right? My natal Moon is in 5th.)

May I know how long Saturn will stay in one house? 240 days? I just wanna mark the date it enters the 5th house of fire and I’m out and about sparkling again :)

Thank you Leah! <3

21. July 31, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Hi Ellie – thanks for sharing your experience of this transit. Saturn stays in a house for around 2.5 years. The exact date it crosses into your 5th house will depend on your natal chart.

22. Jamtse
    August 12, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Saturn has been in my 4th house for about a year. I’m packed up and ready to move with no where to go! I signed one lease and backed out immediately as I had not rented my house out yet. I’ve been trying to rent my house out for two months…lots of interest and no takers. It only recently crossed my mind that maybe the move just won’t happen yet. A sad thought as I really want to go. None of this is critical, but I am dealing with a health issue as well, so the downtime does serve some purpose. I’ve also been doing tons to the house which I would not have done if a new tenant had come right away.
    Do you see any release in this stagnation before the end of the transit?

23. August 12, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Hi Jamtse – I’m sorry to hear things are moving slowly for you. It is the nature of Saturn to delay and as you say, as it gives you some downtime and time to sort out the house, it has a purpose. I usually find that once Saturn reaches the end of his journey in the house, there’s a strong sense of release and Saturn rewards you for all the hard work. But when you might move or feel release from stagnation would also depend on the rest of the movements in your chart too. If you are interested in exploring this further, I offer readings here http://www.leahwhitehorse.com/readings

24. Craig
    September 18, 2014 at 8:54 am

Hi Leah, thanks for your response.
    It’s almost one year later (I forgot all about this post, I read it and realized “hey that was me!” lol) ..So I’ve really retreated into my shell…people seem very threatening to me….I’ve learned to cope with loneliness…I’ll be getting my license back in 2 months, but I don’t know if I’ll even use it, I’m so scared…I’ve received several indirect threats…I think it’s because i’m too aggressive…big surprise :) I’m not like that anymore, I was shocked to read my post actually.
    I do feel stronger, and very relieved for the fact that it will soon be OVER, and better things await …
    So, this description of yours is really spot on, I just read 10 of them from different websites, and this one is by far the best! Truly amazing.

25. September 18, 2014 at 10:01 am

Hi Craig – Good to hear from you again. It’s nearly over, you’re nearly there! As a planet prepares to leave a house we tend to feel it more intensely. Hang in there. Also, fear is a natural response after what you’ve been through. Give yourself to time to re-adjust. You ARE stronger like you said. Bit by bit that shell will break to reveal the new and stronger you :-)

26. Craig
    November 22, 2014 at 2:47 am

Thanks Leah, nearly there….I can feel it :)
    I’m still a bit agoraphobic, and I hope that will change, but I’m generally feeling pretty confident, life is returning to my body…
    And the Jup/Saturn combo with be trine, or at least 2 fire signs, much better than the square, right?
    Thanks again!