Natal Aspects – Moon conjunct Pluto

Natal Aspects - Moon conjunct PlutoThe Moon conjunct Pluto in the natal chart bestows an intense emotional nature. There is a powerful drive to be loved which may be motivated by a deep insecurity stemming from childhood years. Life needs to be felt mind, body and soul so superficial connection is passed over in favour of profound experience.

The native with this aspect is most likely to have had a powerful connection to the Mother or Mother figure. Whether it’s love or hate, either way, ‘Mother’ has been a dynamic force in shaping the emotional landscape. There may be a super-sensitive antenna for trouble, drama, chaos, darkness or simply negative energy. This may have stemmed from being psychically attuned to the surrounding atmosphere in early childhood. For some, Mother was controlling or abusive or she may have been experienced as disempowered, secretive or resentful. Mother may have been deeply suspicious of others and ever-watchful over her child or children. For some, the darkest expression of the Moon conjunct Pluto is sexual abuse/violence. However it manifests, there are often skeletons in the closet and demons knocking at the door.

Despite the negative overtones and interpretations of this aspect, the Moon conjunct Pluto native has an astute ability to psychologically analyse others and is sharply perceptive. Whilst they may find it extremely frightening to let others in to their own internal world, they have an uncanny knack of understanding the fears that motivate the responses of others. It can take a long time to earn the trust of the Moon conjunct Pluto but once trust is gained, it is forever held – unless that trust is betrayed in which case, watch out! This aspect can implode when hurt. The instinct is to ruthlessly cut off emotionally whilst they lick their wounds.

A certain sexual overtone is sometimes present. The eyes can be particularly sultry. Their intriguing and sometimes mysterious aura can be naturally enticing. These people can be wonderful lovers once they trust you enough on an intimate level and have the capability to kiss it better in more ways than one. With their keen insight into human emotion and innate understanding of sexual power, they have the ability to cast away the inhibitions of partners. When functioning well, this aspect nurtures their private life with loving attention.

If emotional residue from the past isn’t addressed, there can be a tendency towards seeing things in black and white and emotional self-sabotage. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is a classic sign of deep pain. For some, the fear of being controlled by their emotional life is so strong that they attempt to shut it down which can cause further problems as the dam invariably bursts. Secrecy can be a coping mechanism. The trick with this aspect is that they need to allow themselves to be fully present with their feelings. Sometimes they can err towards controlling behaviour, especially when their own emotions feel out of control. In extreme cases unresolved problems can manifest as obsessive behaviour. The native may be hung up on cleanliness or find it hard to throw anything away. Everything can seem to have sentimental value.

There is a dark beauty to the Moon conjunct Pluto. There is a fearless compulsion to experience life in all its aspects from the darkest of dark to the lightest of light. Moon conjunct Pluto is unafraid to walk in the shadows because they know that within fear there is power.

Celebrity Examples

Edgar Allen Poe
Moon conjunct Pluto in Pisces, 5th House (rectified chart). Famous for his gothic horror writings. His Mother died early and his early life generally was chaotic. Addicted to drugs and alcohol.

Carl Gustav Jung
Moon conjunct Pluto in Taurus, 4th house (rectified chart). Famous psychiatrist/psychoanalyst. He described his Mother as being ‘unexpectedly powerful’ and had nightmares about her. Astrodatabank notes that ‘ He once dreamt Pluto was a sculptor’.

Anthony Shaffer
Moon conjunct Pluto in Cancer, 12th House  – A British playwright and author of ‘Sleuth’ described as a ‘brilliant double-cross mystery thriller’.

David Soul
Moon conjunct Pluto in Leo, 1st House – Famous for playing detective ‘Hutch’ in the 70′s cop show Starsky and Hutch. In his personal life he has been arrested and jailed for violence against his wife and is known to have been an alcoholic in the past. He has been in therapy for anger management.

Amelia Earhart
Moon conjunct Pluto in Gemini, 2nd House – The first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic is also famous for mysteriously disappearing. The mystery of her death/disappearance continues to this day.

Jodie Foster
Moon conjunct Pluto in Virgo, 9th House – A wide conjunction in her chart can be seen manifesting through her work where some of her most famous parts see her playing a strong women under threat.  For example: – The Accused, Panic Room and The Silence of the Lambs. Emotional intensity is characteristic of her acting style. She also famously keeps her private life private.

25 comments for “Natal Aspects – Moon conjunct Pluto

1. Krista
    October 20, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Wow you hit the nail on the head! That describes me to a T!
    My moon is conjunct pluto (1 degree orb) in Virgo (5th house)

2. October 21, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Thanks Krista :-)

3. Danielle
    October 25, 2013 at 12:06 am

I am a Pluto conj. Moon in Libra, 4th house. Coupled with my Sun and Mercury in the 12th house of Taurus, have made for an interesting astrological profile. Lol!! THX!

4. October 25, 2013 at 8:26 am

You’re welcome. I’m thinking still waters run deep with those chart placements Danielle. Fabulous :-)

5. Draug
    November 2, 2013 at 10:08 am

I enjoyed this article. I have Moon-Pluto conjunction in Scorpio in the 1st house.

6. November 2, 2013 at 10:32 am

Hi Draug- thank you. Wow, there’s a lot going on for you at the moment then with all the action in Scorpio :-)

7. Theo
    December 17, 2013 at 7:23 pm

My jaw literally dropped. Never have I read a more concise description as what you’ve written here (Pluto 10 Libra, Moon 14 Libra – 10th house. Sun 26 Pisces. Asc 6 Sag.). This is bookmarked for future revisitations. Thank you!

8. December 18, 2013 at 11:50 am

Hi Theo – thanks for your comment and glad you found it helpful :-)

9. Candi
    January 5, 2014 at 12:37 am

Very enlightening and accurate with my moon in Virgo at 0 degrees and Pluto at 5 in the 12th. Also sheds some light on a former partners aspects re: moon and pluto.

10. Candi
    January 5, 2014 at 12:44 am

Sorry meant 11th house.

11. January 5, 2014 at 10:02 am

Thanks Candi – glad you founds it helpful.

12. Broken
    February 27, 2014 at 12:36 am

I don’t have this aspect in my own chart but i know someone with this aspect , he is obsessed with his mother even though she died 2 years ago , he still writes and thinks about her a lot , her death still pains him and he misses her too much , he has a great understanding of other people’s emotions and very affectionate , so your describtion hits home

13. February 27, 2014 at 10:36 am

Hi Broken – thanks for your comment. Really sorry to hear about your friend’s loss.

14. Jan
    March 2, 2014 at 5:52 am

My mum has moon conjunct pluto in leo in a fixed t-square and I have moon square saturn in taurus in a fixed t-square as well. She drains me physically and emotionally in everyway. She cannot stop talking? putting people down and she treats every topic like a debate. She almost ruined me as she brought me up in her insensitive? cruel and controlling ways never once made me feel worthy of mryself despite been fully aware of my quiet and timid nature. Even after marriage? she continued meddling in my personal affairs until i realised i have to physically avoid her to get my inner peace.

15. Bell Smith
    March 9, 2014 at 10:08 am

Hi, I am just uncovering the sexual abuse in my family picture. My mum never dealt with it, if she was abused, (my Aunty and my Grandfather were for sure) but I think the secrets of my Mums abuse and her need to keep it hidden, yet let me take the blame for her resulting trauma and anxiety has been hard to bear, until now I can see the truth and sit with my feelings. A yod to moon, mars, and topped off with Chiron I think means being in touch with my anger helps me to heal… love that Betty Page was a moon pluto! what a sexy beast! hope to aim more for that side of Moon pluto, ;) peace Moon pluto’s! keep up the detective work! you might just be the end to dirty secrets and trauma passed on through generations….

16. March 9, 2014 at 11:37 am

Hi Bell – I’m sorry to hear of the abuse that took place in your family but it sounds like you are really moving forward towards healing those wounds. The power of transformation :-)

17. Deb
    April 28, 2014 at 12:59 am

Thanks. This helps me.

18. April 28, 2014 at 9:38 am

You’re welcome. Thanks for reading Deb.

19. Lucia
    May 11, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Wow found this interesting! I have Moon-Pluto conjunction in Scorpio in the 8th house

20. May 12, 2014 at 10:46 am

Thanks for reading Lucia :-)

21. WDS
    May 27, 2014 at 5:18 pm

This reads very true for me: moon/pluto in Leo in the 8th. My mother and I were locked in mortal combat from day one. I chose not to have children because I didn’t want to perpetuate this and didn’t feel able to work through it enough not to do so. Relationships have always been a challenge, though I am fortunate to have a long good marriage. I am now, later in life, with time to begin to work creatively, feeling these root issues emerging. Hoping I can make some progress transmuting this powerful energy into something that will inspire or free or at least help.

22. May 28, 2014 at 9:27 am

Hi WDS – Thanks for sharing your experience of this aspect. It sounds like you are already making progress. That is the beauty of Pluto. It is the ultimate transformer :-)

23. June 23, 2014 at 9:07 am

So good! Im Moon conj Pluto in Scorpio 4th house. You described my childhood to the full extent!

24. Gloria Hodgson
    August 26, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Hi Leah, – What an eye opening revelation that was. I have a wide 10 degree orb pluto
    conj moon in virgo 2nd house. And I have spent my whole life both intensely desiring an all consuming passionate relationship, yet when I am in them I am unable to be emotionally transparent and am always secretive and witholding the sharing of the intensity through my intense fear of being fully seen to really want the relationship to be something magnificent. Of course, I am always dissapointed when they dont (cant) live up to the expectation. And soon I cut them off at the knees anyway.
    What a glorious mess my lovelife has been, still is. My mother was to me a sad figure who was deeply hurt & abused in her short miserable marriage to my father.
    Who not only physically and emotionally abused her, but moved his psychopath girlfriend in while mum had to housekeep for everyone.
    Is it any wonder I have never wanted to marry. Oh well thanks to your transformative, insight into this aspect I may finally be able to get my beleagered lovelife into perspective, turn the page and start afresh. Thank you deeply and profoundly.

25. August 27, 2014 at 8:12 am

Hi Gloria – Thank you for sharing your experience. Gosh yes I can see how your Mother’s experience may have influenced your future relationships. That sounds very hard.