Transits – Saturn conjunct Ascendant

lizzatori - Saturn conjunct AscThe Ascendant is the lens through which you view life so when Saturn arrives here, it’s like he’s brought up close and personal for your viewing! As one of the major angles of the chart, any planetary movements here tend to be experienced in a very immediate and personal way.

This transit marks the beginning of a new cycle and can be one of the most important periods of your life as you begin to examine what Saturn has taught you so far. As the planet of duty, responsibility, obligation and self-mastery you are moving into a period of maturation. Saturn crossing the Ascendant starts a 7 year period of inner reflection where you begin to build up your strength and endurance for things to come. Once Saturn reaches the cusp of the 4th house, what you learn during this period can start to be made manifest in the outside world.

Saturn on the Ascendant can feel heavy. You may feel weighed down by problems. Maybe your boss has dumped a load of extra responsibilities on your shoulders or perhaps issues with your partner arise where you feel like you are having to put in a lot more effort. Occasionally Saturn can remove relationships that are more trouble than they are worth. Saturn will show you where your time is best spent.

In the birth chart, Saturn indicates where you feel insecure; where you doubt yourself and the nature of your fears. As Saturn is now staring right into your eyes, there’s no denying your fears and inhibitions. Like everything else, these too must be examined and faced head on. Saturn knows that in order to do what you need to do, it’s necessary to shed self-imposed limitations. Saturn will show you where your limits are. Often there can be a feeling of ‘I’m not ready for this‘ and that’s exactly the point. Saturn shouts “coming ready or not” except it isn’t a game any more. It’s real. Saturn says “I know you’re not ready. I’m here to help“. Let him.

You may feel more aware of how you appear to others. You may become more critical of how you look, how you dress. You want people to take you seriously. Sometimes, if weight has been a issue, Saturn crossing the Ascendant can trigger the desire to lose weight, get fit and strengthen oneself to the core. The caution is not to be too hard on yourself. Whilst Saturn demands self-discipline in all respects, using his influence to beat yourself over the head with a big stick won’t get the job done. It’s about becoming aware of the negative voice in your head, the ‘shoulds’ and the ‘coulds’ and doing something positive about them. ‘Must try harder’ may be an incessant background track. Saturn is the teacher that knows you can do better when you hand in your scruffy homework. You don’t need to be afraid of Saturn here. It’s about acknowledging where you can do better – and doing it.

Unfinished business can also be a theme of this transit. Instead of starting something new, Saturn requests that you finish what you already begun. Tie up lose ends or let it go for good. Look at what has been neglected and needs attention. It’s the perfect time to take a look at what you have achieved so far and what you would still like to achieve. The difficulty may be that you think you can’t do it. Saturn will show you that you can – but patience and perseverance are required.

A conservative approach now is what works best. It’s about taking your time, following the rules and sometimes taking advice from elders or authority figures. To build the authority in yourself, there is a need to be open to learning from others. Common sense prevails.

You may feel more restricted now. Your world view may feel smaller. You may even find yourself grumbling about the state of the world! There is less freedom of movement than before because Saturn is trying to show you what needs to be done. In some case, the restriction of movement can become literal with health problems. This is more likely if other transits and natal patterns indicate it. Generally though, you may experience a lowered sense of vitality, a depression of energy or even just depression. The trick is to face any problems promptly and not allow yourself to wallow. Saturn requires that you do the work whether you feel like it or not. That said, ‘doing the work’ may simply be about learning to treat your body better and giving it the respect it deserves.

Some may feel more alone at this time. There can be a tendency to cut off with Saturn conjunct the Ascendant. This may be necessary due to life commitments but sometimes it can be simply be because you’re not feeling in a sociable mood. It may be that you need to learn to enjoy your own company. Take care however that you don’t build a wall between yourself and others. Whilst isolation can help you learn to stand on your own two feet, self-imposed isolation because you feel down, out and fed-up will only make matters worse. Make a little time for the people who are important to you.

Saturn conjunct the Ascendant can be summed up in the phrase ‘get it together’. It may feel like an uphill climb but the view from the top will be worth it. Saturn conjunct the Ascendant is about taking the first step. For clues as to how this transit may manifest, look to the position of your natal Saturn and the house ruled by Capricorn as these area of the chart will normally be triggered by this transit. Planetary helpers are indicated by any planets trine or sextile to natal Saturn. Using these aspect may help to channel some of the weight of Saturn and provide light at the end of the tunnel.

What did you experience during Saturn conjunct the Ascendant? Share your thoughts in the comments below. If you are currently undergoing this transit and are in need of some guidance, I provide readings by email as well as consultations by Skype or Instant Messenger here

Painting ‘Lizzatori’ by John Singer Sargent

29 comments for “Transits – Saturn conjunct Ascendant

1. Artemis
    June 8, 2014 at 7:05 pm

When Saturn conjuncted my Ascendant, I left home to study abroad. It was a difficult move. I applied for a scholarship to get the necessary funding and for reasons I still can’t fathom, it was an uphill struggle admin-wise. I had to fight every step of the way with malicious bureaucrats to get my application accepted and had to call the admin people personally every single day for information, as they seemed dead-bent on being unhelpful. It was incredible. Once I was in though, actual decision-makers were quite helpful and I got my scholarship. I guess Saturn got stern fingers waived at him from Pluto conjunct Jupiter in my 8th house. By the time the school year started Jupiter was comfortable in my 9th house and tensions eased. The systematic, bulldog-like, trust-no-one-check-everything attitude I needed to get through those times has served me well ever since.

2. June 8, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Hi Artemis/Laura :-) Thanks for sharing your experience. Gosh you certainly had a trial there with bureaucracy! I admire your sheer determination and I’m glad that Saturn left something so valuable behind for you after his visit.

3. Laura
    June 9, 2014 at 8:23 am

Yeah … not sure why I used that nick! But I love that goddess :-D
    Saturn left a valuable gift but he also took something – a bit of my “joie de vivre”, of the happy-go-lucky attitude. I am a lot more serious now, anticipating obstacles where none materialize. It is more realistic, less fun, even when it’s unwarranted. I hate that!
    The more we advance towards Saturn turning direct again I feel a mix of fear and anticipation in my stomach because Saturn will for the third time oppose my natal Mars before leaving that area of Scorpio for good. And I can’t help wondering – what was the REAL lesson? Have I learned it? Next time this happens I’ll be a lot older, a lot less flexible – what if I haven’t learned my lesson? And if I have – what was it for and when will it come in useful again? Because that won’t be fun! Will there ever be fun again? Life is supposed to be balanced.

4. Lisa
    September 27, 2014 at 11:03 am

Sarurn is crossing my Asc right now, I’m struggling with my health & fears regarding my health. Im a scorpio rising & this whole saturn in scorpio has been heavy on me. Been so fearful & developed Generalized Anxiety, is that part of Saturn in Scorpio? Also will all the calms down once Saturn moves across the Asc into the first house?

-Lisa

5. September 27, 2014 at 11:18 am

Hi Lisa – I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing health problems. Saturn entering into the first house can sometimes manifest like this. It tends to be ‘heaviest’ when crossing the Ascendant. Once it has moved about 3 degrees on from there, the influence starts to ebb. But Saturn here can also help you to face the roots of your fears and anxieties. Don’t forget he is strength and mastery. Seeking the help of someone older and wiser (like a counsellor or therapist) may help to guide you through this if you haven’t got someone already supporting you.

6. Lisa
    September 28, 2014 at 10:24 am

Hi Leah,

Thanks for your reply. Can Saturn in Scorpio traveling through 12th house cause health problems and feeling completely stuck in all areas of life? My Zodiac sign is Scorpio. Doctors cant find anything wrong but I’m having many different mysterious symptoms.

-Lisa

7. September 28, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Hi Lisa – Yes Saturn is stirring your unconscious mind when in the 12th. If doctors have definitely ruled about physical problems, symptoms may stem from psychological issues. Feeling stuck is a common Saturn feeling. It would also depend on what else is going on in your chart and the natal potential. If you would like to look at this further, I do offer readings here http://www.leahwhitehorse.com/readings

8. Lisa
    September 29, 2014 at 4:05 am

Hi Leah,

Thanks for your reply. I’m just hoping it all settles down when in the 1st house but heard that the 1st house relates to health so I’m scared if it’ll get worse, not sure I can handle another 2 years. Since this whole Saturn thing my Finances have been really low, had to leave my job. not sure if you offer a one question reading?

Thanks

9. September 29, 2014 at 9:48 am

Hi Lisa – I offer single question readings here http://www.leahwhitehorse.com/2011/07/11/intuitive-astro-tarot-reading/ I focus more on the spiritual patterns in astrology, looking for guidance as to how to use the energies at play and what may be causing blocks. However, if it is more a health specific reading you would be looking for, I would also recommend an astrologer friend of mine Stephanie Gailing who is a wellness consultant as well as an astrologer http://planetaryapothecary.com/stellar-wellness-consultations/

10. Lisa
    September 29, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Hi,

I dont have a health specific question just generally could what im going through be planetary & if so what is it that Im not learning?

I will check out your services & hope to get a reading soon. I’ve been to many people seeking answers but never to an western astrologer.

I did get Vedic astrology but they dont tell the solutions they kinda said I’ll be full of anxiety or mental distress till 2017. Never told me what could the moon be wanting me to learn or release etc.

11. September 30, 2014 at 10:29 am

Hi Lisa
    I understand. And yes, sometimes planetary action can trigger things on a very deep level. But for every negative manifestation there are also positive ways of working with those energies too.

12. October 6, 2014 at 4:29 pm

It’s downright chilling how accurate you are. I have Saturn in 1st house (Sag Asc). As you can imagine, life from the get go threw everything but the kitchen sink at me, but I’m still standing 26 years later. I both fear and welcome my Saturn Return, really anxious waiting for it.

13. October 6, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Hi Devon, thanks for reading. Glad to hear you are still standing! Whilst Saturn may throw some further tests at the return, your natural endurance should help you to see the rewards of those tests. No need to fear. You have strength on your side.

14. Sasha
    October 20, 2014 at 2:25 pm

I was looking back at the last years to figure out why life was so hard for me when Saturn was on my ascendant (Virgo). I also have natal Saturn in Virgo (so, Saturn conjunct my ascendent), which I think intensified how tough this was for me and makes me grateful to realize this may well have been one of the toughest transits of my life! I was physically very ill and couldn’t find the cause (later found black mold in my house, much healthier now), was emotionally abused in my marriage, just no strength and like there were barriers at every turn. I feel like I cried two years straight! Once Saturn moved to Libra, things were tough but I had more strength: ended my marriage, stood up for myself, scratched and kicked my way back to self-sufficiency. I’m so glad that’s over!

15. Anibose
    October 24, 2014 at 10:03 am

Saturn 6 deg 45 min in my natal ascendant 7 deg 16 min Scorpio has constricted life since September 2012. Slogging without rewards was expected. But now at its last phase looks all is in vain except for some creations which have not yielded any rewards. No light even accepting the darkness.

16. Richard F Lacey
    December 25, 2014 at 6:05 am

I had been ignoring a shortness of breath for over a year when climbing stairs, ladders, or doing heavy physical work. Then I had to move or face an eviction, put my cat down, and find a new place to live. I found a new place, moved, and then had a heart attack. I drove myself to the hospital and a stent was installed in my heart valve. I then suffered a serious bout with pneumonia and almost died but, obviously lived. The conjunction to my ascendant was exact to the degree and minute of arc including precession correction and also exact in declination. I was taught a very big lesson and my belief in Astrology greatly strengthened.

17. December 28, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Hi Richard – thank you for your comment. Gosh, Saturn really put you through the mill didn’t he! I’m very glad to hear you are recovering.

18. João Saraiva
    January 3, 2015 at 4:23 am

I was born with Saturn right into my ascendant degree.
    7 years later my parents finally divorce, 7 years later i lost my virginity hahahaahhaha 7 year cycle yay

19. January 3, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Lol João :-D Sounds like you’re very in tune with that 7 year cycle.

20. Jacob
    January 21, 2015 at 5:58 pm

Saturn is flirting with my ascendant right now. It will likely make its residence in my first house during the fall. To intensify the situation, Saturn is also in my 1st house of my natal chart so my Saturn return is eminent. There will be only sextiles during its journey through first. So i look forward to see what this will bring.

21. January 22, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Hi Jacob, thanks for your comment. Sounds like Saturn will bring lots of opportunities for growth with those sextiles :-)

22. Sarah
    February 2, 2015 at 11:34 pm

Saturn is on my Ascendent. This is my second Saturn return. I am overwhelmed with feelings of sadness, and letting go, and feeling old and spent. This is completely different from my past year. And I’m a Sag, so this is not customary.

I pine so much to travel again, like I once did. I was traveling around the world steadily for a decade. But that stopped some years ago. Now I rarely get to travel at all. And it just weighs on me. Is it all over? It’s peculiar that I should feel this way. Never had it like this before. And in those years of travel, I’d lost the zing of enjoying it, because my travel partner’s feedback was so very critical of all the work I did to enable us to fill our sails and just go go go and land in so many outstanding places with limited dollars, no expense for tours and guides. Now I just hurt to be abroad again. Sometimes I want new places. Sometimes I just want to go back where my heart was touched the most. But something inside me says I will never be there again. I will never feel that way again. Just let it go. What good do I make of this, pining for losses that can never be? What’s the point of this experience?

23. February 3, 2015 at 11:52 am

Hi Sarah, I’m sorry to hear you are feeling so sad. Saturn can bring up many thoughts of the past sometimes as we reflect on who we were compared to who we are now. It will depend on your natal chart and other transits (some of what you expressed sounds quite Neptunian), but perhaps there is something here about putting you in touch with what you desire for yourself for the future. Saturn focuses on what is realistically possible so maybe there is some kind of compromise rather than all or nothing.

24. Fran
    February 7, 2015 at 11:25 pm

I have Jupiter in Sag at 14 degrees on the Ascendant. Sun in Cap in the 1st house.
    I am waiting for Saturn to hit Jupiter and the Asc. next year and am not looking forward to any more hardships. What do you think of the possibilities?

25. February 9, 2015 at 11:52 am

Hi Fran, Saturn conjunct Jupiter can feel restrictive OR it can be seen as a way to focus your attention on the most effective ways to expand your life. Saturn will cut off avenues of growth that could perhaps lead to energies being dissipated. Think of it like growing tomatoes where it’s best to pinch out certain shoots in order to get the plant to fruit. It stops growth being unwieldy. How it may manifest will be dependent on your chart as whole and what you are hoping to do in your life. If you would like to explore this further, I offer readings here http://www.leahwhitehorse.com/readings.

26. stephie
    March 4, 2015 at 6:20 pm

i am scorpio with sagittarius rising. i dnt understand whats happening in my life. unemployed loads of tensions………

27. March 4, 2015 at 11:43 pm

Hi Stephie, I’m sorry to hear things are difficult right now. Depending on where your ASC is, hopefully you can take advantage of some of the feel good vibes from Jupiter trine Uranus. It’s possible that you have some heavier weight transits going on right now that are manifesting more strongly such as Saturn for example. If you would like to explore this further, I offer readings here http://www.leahwhitehorse.com/readings Either way, I hope things level out for you soon. Blessings

28. gingerbread
    March 20, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Saturn conjunction Ascendant in transit: My mother died. Even though I had a brother, I was left to take care of many details alone. My brother didn’t even ask what happened. Instead he attacked the probate lawyer, calling him incompetent and illegal. My husband also attacked me saying he needed money for a renovation which he had initiated without any consultation with me. In retrospect it made me realize in the hard way I was alone in this world.

29. March 20, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Hi Gingerbread – Oh I’m sorry to hear that. It sounds like it was an incredibly difficult time for you.