Natal Chart – Saturn in the 7th House

Saturn in 7th ArtWith Saturn in the 7th house, you are serious about your relationships but that could be taken in different ways. One of the classic features of this placement is that often the subject may not marry or commit to a relationship until after the first Saturn return, and sometimes not until they are much older. Maybe this is because you know that it is a serious commitment so you need to be sure. But maybe it’s because where Saturn sits in the chart, we often have an unswerving desire to avoid that area of life at all costs.

You may be drawn to those who offer you the security you need, or you may run at the thought of getting hitched. Saturn poses a challenge. This is the area of life where you are required to develop self-mastery and maturity but the thought of opening up and being vulnerable to someone else can be a frightening prospect. Maybe you want to be strong and resist. Maybe you don’t want to be tied down or obliged to anyone else. Perhaps you struggle with commitment or fear that your partner will. Relationships are rarely black and white but it can feel like all or nothing.

You may be drawn to those who display typical Saturnian traits – someone in business; someone who is solid and reliable; ‘husband or wife material’, a traditionalist. Some with this placement may find themselves with an older partner. Going deeper, subjects with Saturn in the 7th House may find themselves with a partner who is more like a parent. If this manifests, it can be helpful to look back at your own parent’s relationship to see how this may have impacted upon you. In a similar vein, you may be drawn to someone who suits your parents or society’s expectations of you.

Saturn in the 7th House can have high standards and expectations. Negatively expressed, this placement can trigger a ‘never good enough’ trait. It may be that you are casting the bar too high or setting yourself up for failure before you’ve even begun for fear of being hurt. Sometimes too, it’s easier to find the partner inadequate than deal with your own short-comings. Dissatisfaction becomes a wall around you. Planets in the 7th house are often disowned and projected onto the partner.

Sometimes this placement can generate a fear that you just aren’t loveable enough or good enough to be with someone else resulting in loneliness and isolation. Issues around partners and even open enemies may test your limits. Occasionally some natives with this placement attract partners who are overly strict or limit their freedom in some way either through personality or through health issues. Often this is a manifestation of the subject’s own fears being played out through another. Sometimes, depending on other aspects, this placement can indicate staying with a partner long after the expiry date. If these negative manifestations play out, it is a clue to look within to find your own inner Saturn and form a better working relationship with yourself first and foremost.

When Saturn is in the 7th house or in a challenging aspect to Venus, often people moan and groan, my love life is doomed! But Saturn can instil stability just as much as fear. We all need a little bit of Saturn in a relationship to give it staying power. Don’t forget that Saturn is exalted in Libra, the sign corresponding to the 7th house.

Whilst you may find it more difficult to initially make the leap, once you commit, you commit. Saturn in the 7th house can indicate longevity in relationships. Sometimes there are fewer partners taken or fewer opportunities for love to blossom but when the connection is there, you pay it the serious attention it deserves. As  realist, you are less inclined to be swept away by big promises and fairytale romances but as a result, your partner has the benefit of the real you. Your caution can pay dividends. ‘For better or worse’ is ultimately a Saturnian line. With growing awareness, Saturn gives you the self-discipline to work on yourself and to recognise that relationships too take work.

When functioning well, Saturn can manifest as a responsible and loyal partner. Whilst you may not be inclined to be overly demonstrative, you show your abiding love in other ways such as being a rock for your partner to lean on. Love for you is a verb. Far from never being happy in marriage like the old interpretations suggest, Saturn in the 7th house shows that you have the potential to reach a great level of maturity and understanding not only of your partner but of yourself. When there is an inner marriage within the self then you can meet your partner adult to adult, choosing to be with them on level ground; independent yet walking side by side, sharing the journey of life through all its ups and downs.

Painting – ‘Sonntäglicher church’ by Carl Friedrich Lessing

Book a consultation or reading with me

If you enjoyed this post, please consider supporting me on Patreon...

15 comments for “Natal Chart – Saturn in the 7th House

1. Carrie
    August 11, 2014 at 11:05 pm

This has me written all over it! Saturn at 8′ Taurus, with Moon 2′.

2. Laura
    August 11, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Hi Leah! What you said “where Saturn sits in the chart, we often have an unswerving desire to avoid that area of life at all costs.” sounds … true!

So if Saturn sits in the 1st house, we tend to avoid ourselves?

3. August 12, 2014 at 9:46 am

Hi Laura – Saturn in the first can sometimes manifest as not putting yourself forwards, feeling inhibited/inferior or sometimes just afraid of what the world might see or bring. And yes, it can indicate self-avoidance.

4. November 25, 2014 at 2:33 pm

That is very true. also because of this avoidance people also tend to deny Saturn in their chart to a level it is hard to open their eyes to see its influence on their life! very difficult to deal with…

5. Ak
    May 6, 2015 at 2:03 am

What does saturn in the second mean?

6. beutymark
    February 6, 2016 at 9:46 am

Hi, very curious… I’m trying to single out the worst options, between an venus square saturn and a mercury in retrograde with a moon in Aquarius and a Venus in Pisces, OR mercury in retrograde, a venus in Pisces, moon in Libra, is there a better choice?

7. Educursed
    February 21, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Makes sense. I feel like a failure today because higher learning is my challenge. Sat in the 9th. I’m reluctant to meet new people because I’m not a “savant.”
    I am not in the work/job sector I need to be in for lack of experience but I’ve not done much in hunting it down now have I. All I do is moan. But being able to understand Saturn better with time is helpful. I suppose my Saturn return will fuck the living daylight out of me in two years or something. Then I’ll get my shit together if I haven’t yet.

8. February 21, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Hi Educursed – I also have Saturn in the 9th house. Education can feel like both a challenge and a calling all at once and there’s the forever feeling of never feeling like I know enough. But then that’s what makes Saturn work so well here too because we always strive to understand 🙂

9. Hajni
    February 26, 2016 at 11:51 am

Hi Leah, my Saturn is in first house and my ascendent is Leo, i have no planets in 7 TH House but the indicator of seventh House is saturn. What do u say about my marriage life?
    Thanks
    Hajni

10. Educursed
    March 5, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Thanks for replying Leah 😉
    Kind regards

11. cappuccinocat
    April 1, 2016 at 2:41 am

I have aries saturn in 7th house with no aspects. I also have venus in capricorn… needless to say this scared me a little, especially when I was younger and first learning astrology

12. Shereen
    May 22, 2016 at 3:29 pm

I’ve struggled with relationships all my life. Either horribly abusive ones or extreme loneliness. Saturn in cancer in the 7th. :/

13. Victoria
    August 22, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Hi,it’s libra woman with saturn aries in 7th house….my juno in virgo of 12th house is also a thing.Im overly worried *started shaking* (QwQ)
    This…is looking way worser than I thought…im actually scared.
    Other placements doesn’t have saturn…except neptune capricorn in 4th house.It calmes me down but looking online it sounded way more serious than I imagined.
    My other some of placements in case:
    Moon taurus
    Venus sagittarius
    Mars sagittarius
    Asc libra

14. LoveaLeo
    February 7, 2017 at 3:20 pm

Yes! This is me to a “T”! Saturn in the 7th. I’ve only married once in my early 20’s and divorced rather quickly. I’ve never married again and I’m almost 40. My relationships have never lasted more than 3 years. Although, after reading this I will say that I feel much better knowing there are reasons for it! I realize there are no perfect chart compatibility readings but I do have a few questions. When I did a chart-to-chart comparison of a “male” friend of mine it says his Saturn in Cancer is in my Seventh house. Well, I’ve read that the 7th house is ruled by Libra. However, there is a Leo symbol in it as well. Can you help explain this?

15. ela
    August 16, 2017 at 6:03 pm

i have saturn in capricorn in the 7th house. i am a cancer ascendant.